PHP configuration issue with Apache2

Hi,

I currently have an Apache 2.2 server running in Linux, and I have
phpBB (forum software) at directory /srv/http/forum (my document root
is /srv/http). Doing this, the forum works fine. Now, when I
enable mod_python in apache and set the document root (/srv/http) to
use the mod_python handler, my forum breaks. Sometimes the page will
just show an error, or sometimes it will just show the PHP source code
of the forum software (phpBB).

In my document root (/srv/http), I have the following .htaccess file:

#----------------------------------------------------------
Options All -Indexes

DirectoryIndex index.py
AddHandler mod_python .py
PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
PythonDebug on

AddType text/html;qs=1.0 .py
AddType text/html;qs=0.9 .html
AddType text/plain;qs=0.8 .txt

<Files ~ "\.(gif|html|jpg|png|swf)$">
        SetHandler default-handler
</Files>

This sets up mod_python and it works just great. Now, when I visit my
forum (at /srv/http/forum), it is inheriting the properties specified
in the root .htaccess, and somehow interfering with PHP handling
the .php script files. How can I set up the /srv/http/forum/.htaccess
file to make my forum work? Help is appreciated. Thank you.