PHP-MySQL connector installation problem on Windows

Hello,

I seem to be having trouble getting the PHP-MySQL connector to work.  I hope this is the right list to ask.

I have installed the latest versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL on two workstations, one XP and one Vista.  These are for development, and should not be reachable from outside due to a hardware firewall.

Working from the O'Reilly book "Learning PHP and MySQL" by Davis and Phillips, the final step is to install the MySQL Connector, which is obtained from dev.mysql.com.  The test that the connection is working is supposed to be that when you call the phpinfo page, you get a section in the middle of the page with the heading MySQL.

Whatever I try, I do not get this on either machine.  The procedure is supposed to be that you download a zip file containing two files, libmysql.dll and php_mysql.dll.  libmysql.dll needs to be put in a directory that is in the system path, and php_mysql.dll needs to go in a directory you create under the php root directory, called extensions.  Then the php.ini file has to be edited to include the lines

        extension_dir = C:\php\extensions
        extension=php_mysql.dll

Then the Apache server is to be restarted and the connection should work.

My first point of confusion is that dev.mysql.com now features two separate zip downloads with two versions of their connector file: php_mysql.dll and php_mysqli.dll.  They recommend php_mysqli.dll strongly, but never make it quite clear whether this is in addition to the old php_mysql.dll, or whether it replaces it.  If anybody can explain how these relate to each other from an installation perspective, I would surely appreciate it.

Beyond that, I'm grasping at straws.  Most of the examples assume that the php root directory is directly under the C: drive, but the Windows installer package put it under C:\Program Files.  I've compensated for the different path name in the php.ini file.  Hopefully there's nothing hard-coded that's looking for C:\php.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rory