RE: Re: WELCOME to php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christopher,

I am [unfortunately] on Vista at work and have had the pleasure of setting up a WAMP environment with Vista.

Here's my current setup:
I am not familiar with IIS in Vista.  My best advice is to #1download and install the Apache 2.0.59 or 2.2.4 from: http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Once installed, you will need to download the Windows binaries for PHP from
http://www.php.net/downloads.php and install them.  This process is relatively simple (http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php):
  1. Download ZIP.

  2. Extract to a folder (usually something like c:\php)

  3. Copy php.ini-dist as php.ini to C:\WINDOWS (or add c:\php to your System Path, copying is quicker and requires less explanation).  You will need to setup php.ini for your preferred extensions (remember MySQL requires the file c:\php\libmysql.dll to be in C:\WINDOWS or somewhere in your System Path to work)

  4. Add Apache configuration directives to the Apache httpd.conf configuration file.

  5. Restart Apache.
I'd create a test script in the hosting root directory (usually C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs) like this:

<?php
    phpinfo();
?>

A quick note while you're setting things up, I recommend turning off Vista's User Access Controls (Google this if you're unsure or e-mail me, they are kinda hidden in Vista's settings).  I ran into problems when trying to create and manipulate files and other such things.  I still have issues when dealing with more complex file manipulation or dealing with testing file uploads locally.

As for Dreamweaver CS 3, you should eventually be able to setup your projects/sites using http://localhost/project_folder/ as the test server for PHP, or just open a browser and enter the URL manually once you've made your changes to the file.

Feel free to email me back for some more information if you hit a road block, and don't forget about the User Access Controls (UAC).

Andy Stratton, ZCE
COMPASS Information Systems, Inc.
1756 Belle Court
Millersville, MD 21108