Re: WELCOME to php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I am interested in installing PHP on a Windows Vista computer to be used in conjunction with Dreamweaver CS3.  On going to Dreamweaver's help with PHP as a search word, I was directed to www.downloads.php.  I downloaded the installer file on my hard drive, but when I start running the it installer program, it comes up with a window with a set of radio buttons asking me to install one of Apache 1.3.x Module, Apache 2.0.x Module, Apache 2.2.x Module, Apache CGI, IIS ISAPI module, IIS CGI, NSAPI, Xitami, Samber Server, Other CGI, or Do not setip a web server.

What do these choices mean, and which one should I select?  The idea is that I want to test out PHP code before uploading it to a web server.  Would I select the last option if I don't want my computer to be a web server, but still want to test out PHP locally?  At some stage I may want to run JSP and servelets on my computer.  Presumably in that case I may want a web server, and presumably Apache 2.2.x Module is the most recent version to upload.

This brings me to a final question, if I decide to install PHP without a server, then later change my mind, can I repeat the installation process with a server selected?

I'm a newbe here, and although I've played around with PHP before, I'm new to Vista and using PHP with Dreamweaver, so some help would be most appreciated.

Christopher Sharp