freash install access error

Hello.

I have server 2003 IIS 6 Service Pack 2 installed. I just installed manually PHP 5.*. Whatever the latest version is. I had 5.* running fine on another server of the same caliber but can’t get past one error on this server.

There is some kind of permissions issue but I’ll be damned if I can find it.

Here is the scenario.

I have a web site with index.php as the main doc. When I access this a password box appears and no matter what user (admin user or other) I type in, it goes to a while blank page with very generic small font at the top says “Error: Access Denied”.

If I go into IIS and change the default App Pool to MSSharePoint (app pool) and then access the page, I then get the same password box. The difference is this time if I put in an admin users account info, the index.php site appears and runs perfectly.

I also have an index.htm file in the same site root path so that I can check permissions on the site. When I access this file (index.htm) with either the defaultapppool or the mssharepoint (app pool) selected, the index.htm file shows without a problem and does not ask for a password. So I know the site itself is set up properly for anonymous access.

I did put in the php5isapi.dll into IIS as the instructions read, obviously, or the php site wouldn’t run fine AFTER the mssharepoint apppool was selected so that I could log in.

I have added I_user and the everyone (user) to the site and to the c:\php folder with read, write, and well, at one point I set all the accounts to full permissions and it did not change a thing.

I referenced the other server I have that is running PHP without a problem and set all the user account info the same on this problematic server. But I still get this damn password box that will not allow me access when set to the defaultapppool, which is what it needs to be set at.

I even went to the extremes and made a completely new site, added php to it and set it all up and I still get the same password box. I don’t see any reason for it asking for an account to log in…everything is set to anonymous. IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! Haha

I do not know if this is a php issue or if it is an IIS issue. The site works find with plain htm files, but the php’s always throw this password box access denied error, so I assume it is something with permissions or the set up of PHP.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Chris