From: Keith Roberts [mailto:keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 9:55 AM
To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  help with mail() function

What configure command did you use Bill. I've compiled php
5.2.1 on Fedora Core 6, and used the following configure
command:

'./configure'
'--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache-2.2.0/bin/apxs'
'--prefix=/usr/local/php-5.2.1' '--enable-shared=all'
'--with-mysql=shared'
'--with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/databases/mysql/mysql.sock'
'--with-mysqli=shared'
'--with-pgsql=/usr/local/postgresql-8.2.1/bin' '--with-xsl'
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr/include'

mail() is working OK on my system.

>From the manual:

LXXIX. Mail Functions
Introduction
  The mail() function allows you to send mail.

Requirements
  For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have
access to the sendmail binary on your system during compile
time. If you use another mail program, such as qmail or
postfix, be sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers
that come with them. PHP will first look for sendmail in
your PATH, and then in the following:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's
highly recommended to have sendmail available from your
PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP must have permission
to access the sendmail binary.

Installation
There is no installation needed to use these functions; they
are part of the PHP core.

Did php actually find the sendmail binary or its equivalent
when you compiled php?

Regards

Keith

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Bill Beck wrote:

> To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Bill Beck <bbeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject:  help with mail() function
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've compiled PHP5 on an Ubuntu machine. Getting this error when trying
> to use mail(), and have looked for the obvious problems:
>
> error message:
>
> *Fatal error*: Call to undefined function mail()
>
> After running ./configure (as root) it shows that php found sendmail, and
> my admin panel confirms it's running:
>
> checking for sendmail... (cached) /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> So sendmail is there, and the php_config.h file indeed shows #define
> HAVE_SENDMAIL 1
> but no mail function.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill B

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net