Trying to set up a test server on my localhost

OK so I installed Apache2.2.4 and it worked fine, then I unpacked the Win32
executable (not MSI installer) to C:\PHP5 and put this in my httpd.conf:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php5/php5apache2.dll"

and lower down:

	AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

I've tried it without the quotes, I've tried it with the C:/PHP5 part
capitalized, I've tried it a dozen different ways, but I still get the same
message:

httpd: Syntax error on line 116 of C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannon load C:/PHP5/php5apache2.dll
into server: The specified module could not be found.

I have tried forums, mailing lists, Gooooooooooooogle, and every other
resource I can think of and nobody can tell me why this does not work,
despite consulting numerous installation guides and instructions from every
source I can find!

I have even gone to the extent of creating a special user for apache, called
apache, on the local machine, with the ability to run as a service, and
given it read and execute access to the entire Apache and PHP directories!

This is driving me crazy!