Need Some tehnical Help

I have installed MySQL Community server and PHP 5.2.2( installed manually, no installer) on my pc
I configured php with IIS (version 5) properly.
If I open a php file in a webbrowser(internet explorer), it works as expected but if the php file has
code to extract data from mysql server, the web browser returns an empty page; no error is displayed.

Previously, i copied the php.ini-dist file then pasted and renamed it to php.ini into the C:\windows folder.
and made sure that the line extension=php_mysql.dll was un commented. By then the browser would report a
Fatal error : call to un defined function mysql_connect().

Currently I used php.ini-recommended instead of php.ini-dist and neither errors are displayed nor is anything
returned, only an empty page instead of dynamic data from the mysql database.
Generally both PHP and MySQl work properly independlty but cannot connect. I have researched all manuals and all I get
is confusion.
I humbly request for technical help.

My PC Environment
-windows XP service pack 2.