preg_match

I have googled around for the following error:

Warning: preg_match: internal pcre_fullinfo() error -3 in
/data/gallery2/install/steps/AuthenticateStep.class on line 58

I see some responses give the following answer:

"Don't use external PCRE lib, use bundled instead."

I have no idea what that means. On my Ubuntu 6.10 box I got the above error
after installing php5, and attempting to install gallery. I googled around,
and it seemed to be a php5 issue, so I downgraded to php4. I suppose it
still may be using some php5 stuff, but I do not know enough to verify this.

Any ideas how to correct the problem in my circumstances. I used apt-get, so
I am not sure I can pass arguments during the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Raymond