Problem installing PHP with system provided HTTP server

I don’t have any problems installing PHP with my own custom installed apache HTTP server (I build it from the source and I am running 2.2.3 version) located in /usr/local/bin/apache2 but when I try to install it with the one that is system provided (it’s 2.0.51) located at /usr/sbin/httpd it does not seem to work.

I use following procedure to install PHP on system default HTTP:

1. cd php-source-directory/

2. ./configure –with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs –with-mysql

3. make

4. make install

I also do the rest of required steps from the PHP installation page at http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php and I perform necesseary modification to the httpd.conf file, but when I restart HTTP server I do not get any *.php files displayed. Server is running and I get everything else except for the *.php files which makes me think I did not install PHP correctly.

Do I have to do something differently when installing PHP on system provided, default HTTP server?

Dzenan Causevic

Software Web Developer

NaviSite, Inc.

Syracuse, NY