Re: Compiling PHP for MS SQL Support

Hi Mike,

There can be a few gotchas compiling PHP (as in the configure or make commands
will fail with no indication as to why).  I have only ever installed PHP as an
apache module and with command-line support (the default).  The basic procedure
goes like this:

  1. download and unpack the php-5.1.4.tar.gz using

     root> tar -xzf php-5.1.4.tar.gz

  2. Configure PHP somewhat like this:

     root> cd php-5.1.4
     root> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5 --with-apxs --with-mssql

     Because PHP often needs lots of configuration parameters, I prefer to
     put them all in a file called 'configure.txt' and append its contents to
     the end of the command like so:

     root> ./configure `cat configure.txt`

  3. You need to compile PHP:

     root> make

  4. And install it:

     root> make install

  5. And then you just need to restart Apache, although I don't know how
     that is done on any OS other than Mac OS X, but it should be easy to
     find on Google anyways.

That's the simple version of compiling PHP and I hope that procedure works for
you.

regards,
Peter