configure: error: mysql_query missing!?

Hello!

I'm having trouble configuringThis happens with every 5.x.x version
when I try to configure. I have OS X Tiger and gcc 3.3. I have seen
this same problem with some others. One solution was that mysql libs
were not installed, but I think they are on my system. I have compiled
without any errors previously but somethings wrong now. Do you have
any clues on this? I think I have something wrong with my gcc
environment and I have tried reinstalling gcc from xcode, but no luck.

These are the last lines when configure runs:

checking whether to enable PDO support... yes
checking for PDO_DBLIB support via FreeTDS... no
checking for Firebird support for PDO... no
checking for MySQL support for PDO... yes
checking for mysql_config... /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config
checking for mysql_query in -lmysqlclient... no
configure: error: mysql_query missing!?

heres config.log output:

configure:70014: checking for MySQL support for PDO
configure:70064: checking for mysql_config
configure:70394: checking for mysql_query in -lmysqlclient
configure:70413: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2
-no-cpp-precomp -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -liconv
-L/usr/lib  -lmysqlclient -lz -lm conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -liconv
-lz -lm  -lxml2 -lz -liconv -lm -lxml2 -lz -liconv -lm
-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient -lz -lm 1>&5
ld: Undefined symbols:
_sprintf$LDBLStub
_fprintf$LDBLStub
_printf$LDBLStub
configure: failed program was:
#line 70402 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char mysql_query();

int main() {
mysql_query()
; return 0; }