Re: Archiving - NOT backing up.

Drobo is still in business.  They have not been sold since take over by storcentric in 2018.  Now whether you can buy one is another issue.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 22:32 Emily L. Ferguson <elferg308@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 31, 2022, at 8:02 PM, YGelmanPhoto <ygelmanphoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The backup device indicated below by Herschel Mair is not good on Macs beyond Yosemite (OS X 10.10); very old.

Yup. That’s why I read the negative reviews on Amazon.

Unfortunately, all the LG burners on Amazon receive negative reviews which are not very confidence inspiring, and OWC’s drives are all LG drives in OWC's boxes.

Not only that, OWC’s drives don’t connect to USB-C.  They’re all USB-3 which by itself is pretty fast, but connects to a USB-2 port on my OWC dock.  Why OWC doesn’t provide a cable to USB-C is anybody’s guess, but it doesn’t.

Researching this makes me feel like the most current computers simply are not expected to use an older technology like DVD/Blu-ray.  And, yes, I understand that the Cloud is the way of the future.

Add to that one must acquire software to use the device.  Generally that means Roxio Toast, which I’ve owned for years and like, but it’s up around $85 now, close to the price of a burner, altho Apple does apparently have its minimal driver free at the Apple Store.
--
Randy S. Little
VFX Supervisor

Emmy Award Onset VFX Supervisor