Re: IMC and other camera aids

On 7/6/2021 14:22, andpph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
IMC etc.

You often hear that "You must have a good camera your pictures are so good!" and "we" think to ourselves "wow, that cook has a great frying pan his food is so good" ... NOT! However .... I confess that regardless of composition and similar factors, the current cameras sure improve the technical quality of photographs made by the masses. I can't focus fast enough or reliably enough when subjects are moving (like in flying bird photography). Also my hands are not as steady as is sometimes required. In short Image Motion Compensation is a fantastic aid.

Seems to me that it's now vastly easier to learn to make technically adequate photographs in most conditions than it was 50 years ago, yeah.

And, because of things like auto-focus and what you're calling IMC, it's now *possible* to make some photos that were pretty much impossible 50 years ago.

I strongly suspect that what happened, say, when I was starting to take photos, is that some people with good eyes got flustered by the technical difficulties, lost interest, and moved on to something else. Others persevered and became technically adequate, or better, photographers; but it was a front-end filter that eliminated some people. I think I somewhat saw that happening around me at the time.

And some people who didn't have much eye found the technology to be something they could cope with, and became dedicated amateur photographers (like me) or for a while local professionals in small markets. Of course anybody can become an amateur photographer, there's no filter at all, never was, so I'm sure lots of people like that still do.

The change will be causing a modest but real increase in the artistic quality of photos especially at the *lower* professional levels, I suspect.  (Presumably the top levels are so selective that there were always huge numbers of people prepared to fill the small number of positions actually available, and they've always been first-rate in multiple ways.)  I suspect it's no longer possible to be a small local pro *just* on technical competence and an "ordinary" vision.

And yeah, I do think it's very relevant to things like wildlife photography -- knowledge of the wildlife, and field-craft skills, have always been important, but now it's easier for people who are well-started getting that knowledge to easily pick up adequate technical photographic skills to use their knowledge to make pictures. A photographer deciding to go into bird photography has a LOT more stuff to learn than a bird expert who decides to start photographing the birds he sees.

Words Over Windows http://WordsOverWindows.dd-b.net/