Re: Film?

So instead of shooting a neg I should have a neg made later anyway?  This reminds me of why my hot rod bmw is so in demand. Hydraulic breaks, hydraulic steering, manual transmission.  Where as my 2 other BMWs are all modern electric drive by wire or electric motor assist.  2 are boring but stupid fast. One is still stupid fast but I can feel every bit of analog feed back in my feet and my hands and my ears.

carbro is a carbon transfer. One can do many layers of transfer and build up thinkness.  So I can pay a lab to do the lab work or do it my Self and have it still be photography.  Pictorialism which is basically my job everyday is a process the evolves phototography it is not Photography.  Since I do that at a pretty high level as my job, I’m not really interested in doing it more when it’s my time.  As I said before at some point there is a reason film is staging a comeback. Hell they are even making direct positive motion picture film again. DF96 is amazing stuff and I have upper 5 figures worth of digital still and motion cameras to sit next to my Wisner 8x10, Yashicamat LM, Mamiya 645 (which also has a digital back.)

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/29/2021 13:53, Randy Little wrote:
> This stuff is great for playing around with my 8x10. It's also really
> hard to do things like carbro printing with digital.
> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758538-REG/Ilford_1165285_Harman_Direct_Positive_Fiber.html
> <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758538-REG/Ilford_1165285_Harman_Direct_Positive_Fiber.html>

I haven't done carbro or carbon printing myself (they're related, I
think, but different?), but I hear lots of people find digital
inter-negatives the *key* to doing those processes these days, which in
turn means they can be done easily (well; as easily as they can be done
from any other starting point) from a digital capture.

But yeah, the direct-positive paper does actually look like it could be fun!

Words Over Windows http://WordsOverWindows.dd-b.net/

Randy S. Little
VFX Supervisor

Emmy Award Onset VFX Supervisor