Re: file transfer question

Lea, your files transfer at the speed of slowest object in the chain.  Randy has pointed out that using FW, even 800, isn’t as fast as your cards are able to deliver.  You have pointed out that your computer is running old transfer speeds which have been superceded now at least 4 years ago by Apple as well as other manufacturers.

So until you upgrade to more modern transfer tools on your computer, you can’t take advantage of the speed of modern cards.

I’m in the same position, although I swapped out my internal drive for an SSD, and my FW800 card reader died last year.  I now use the card slot on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro which is USB 2.  My RAW files come off the card around 24M.

I’m not shooting the quantities you do - even for races, but when I do shoot a race and bring home 700 shots on a card, the files transfer quite speedily from the card slot.

You, however, may not be able to use the card slot, either because your tower doesn’t have one, or because you’re using CF cards and most of us are using SD cards.

But what I’ve just spelled out here is the way things work - the slowest link in the chain dictates the speed of transfer.

I don’t know what would happen if you switched in an SSD, except that it would cost a bundle to get one as big as your internal drive is.  So I’m not sure, considering the age of your computer, that it would be worth the cash and effort, since once you switch it in you have to reinstall everything too.

Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
774-392-0022
New England landscapes, wooden boats and races
http://landsedgephoto.photodeck.com/