Re: Strobes in specially gas lab

The local West Australian hospitals are very strict in theaters, anesthetics and oxygen and all that, yet no one's ever blinked at a photographer wielding a Metz.

In the time I've worked on electronic flashes I've had flash pack capacitors, flash tubes and ballast resistors blow and arcs across tracks with smoke and flames flame and of course any shorts of this magnitude usually cause arcing at the power point as well - if there's any risk of catastrophic failure it's always when one least expects it, when one most needs the damned things operational or when they can do the most damage..

My 2c would be if there's anything flammable in the environment that could risk a fire or explosion then no flash is really safe.  No matter how new, how well serviced, all electrical failures are essentially mechanical ones and there's no way to really know when something will fail.

I'd be wanting to know how they view the risk, would they be OK with you striking a match?  If they pale at the thought, ask them how do they light the place - light bulbs can arc even under normal circumstances..  If they'd not be keen on struck matches then go low voltage continuous LED or the like.

All the best Randy

Karl