Re: cool modern physics

Karl,

It's true that advances in physics in the early 1900's caught the attention of the general public much more than the do now, but that's only because those advances were so counter intuitive.  Space curves? Matter being both waves and particles?  New advances don't turn prople's heads so much.

But what about the idea that there are questions -- real ones, not "artificial questions as in Gödel's work -- that may be undecidable?  Take a look at the current, October issue, of Scientific American.  The ideas in the article The Unsolvable Problem seems to me are stunning and just as profound as the ones of a hundred years ago.  But the public says, "meh"?

New light sources? A lot of that is applied physics (I'm NOT phoo-phooing it, but it's not the same).

 -yoram

  -- www.ygelmanphoto.com