Re: cool modern physics

It’s my friends company, what do you want to know?

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 5:37 AM Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A friend passed the comment 'physics hasn't given the world anything for 100 years', whether in jest or honestly I don't know but I let it pass as by and large there's some truth to it, a whole lot of the natural world philosophy was laid down a long time back..

Stumbling about the web in the undisciplined way I do I did find something new that caught my eye, the 1990's invention of sulfur lamps

They work by excitation of sufur in a vacuum by microwaves to produce plasma which releases a continuous spectral light output  - these look pretty magical from an electronics perspective , little IR emission, almost no UV and a really good electrical conversion to light, there's one company apparently still making them, Hive Lighting who  claim their 1k light yields the same light levels as a 5k tungsten globe (remembering how much IR a tungsten gives off, this is pretty neat)

anyhoo, just sharing but if anyone's played with these I'd love to hear what you think of them?

karl
--
Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/