Re: Lightroom alternatives?

From: Lea Murphy

If the program does what you need it to do there is no need to upgrade.

many valid comments all round , I like this one best

in contemplating loud services these guys raise some good points
https://www.thebalance.com/disadvantages-of-cloud-computing-4067218

I know from my early days some of the IT guys were dead keen on the idea of locking in customers on pay-as-you-go IT support services as it made good money for little effort.. It failed to kick off way back then, but the level of sophistication these days has brought the model tothe stage of being more than viable. Also people have settled into their programs and have more of an investment as the programs have become more sophisticated, so with folks relying so much on computers it's easier to subtly shift them onto platforms that best suit the authors financially

long term costs of subscription services - I just worked out one program I use seemed cheap at $15 a month, but ten years on I've sunk $1800 into the fees per license and over $640 in forced 'upgrades' - a competing product I also us was $50-ish flat fee 17 years ago and hasn't cost me a cent since then.