Re: mentors and such

I grew up surrounded by my grandfathers collection of original paintings, my favourites being the 20 or so by D'oyly John .. my grandfather had been a cinematographer and animator but also a rather bad amatuer photographer.. but his taste in paintings was exceptional.   I liked Cecil's stylization and how he captured so much with seemingly so little effort.

 Bob Carlos Clarke's photography book The Dark Summer  - his meticulous attention to detail impressed me, the amount of work he put into each image .. Each constructed and crafted with a great skill and understanding of technique and materials.

David Vestal's book The Art of Black and White Enlarging refined my knowledge and revealed a heck of a lot about not just printing but making the pictures you want to make and having a confidence to stand by your choices.

Clerc's Photography Theory and Practice is the book i'd save if the house burned

others include

R. L. Deits who I met by happy accident after admiring his work in the TV show babylon 5, I sold him a camera and we struck up a conversation and echanged quite a few prints many full sized hang around the house here.

I had an exhibition at one point and was asked if I'd worked with a bloke called Eddie Ephraums.. I hadn't heard of him but was surprised to find his and the prints in that exhibition were a lot alike.  I wondered if the experiences we'd had brought about the coincidence in style.

Edward Weston - what's not to like.

All the above put in great effort to learn the art, the skill, the technical details and nuances of the apparatus used to make photographs and once they'd achieved this unleashed their creativity unhindered by anything but their own vision and limits.  All suceeded in making grand images without compromise or fault as they seemed to understand their images were simply that - pictures and not art, as the art was the skill that lay within the artist - the result were just things that people looked at.

One thing that stuck with me was Bob Carlos Clarke's comments in The Dark Summer - ".. after 2 1/2 years  work it was hard to believe that the total time represented by the portraits printed here was no more than 1 second".   Quite remarkable to think all that work was distilled down from a tiny fraction of moments in time.