Re: Calibrate monitor another way or what?

I did not see the original email, but i can throw in two cents.  I reduced the lighting in my studio and therefore was able to reduce the brightness of my monitor. I then had to increase the brightness of whatever image I was working on -- so then the print matched the screen display.

Do a test at a low "native" monitor brightness level.  Display the image and raise the image brightness to how you want it -- and then print it.  If it's too dark, do another test with a lower monitor brightness and raise the brightness of the image to your preference again --and print it again.  Keep testing until your print matches the image on the screen.  It won't be exactly the same because of the difference between transmitted and reflected light, so you'll have to make a decision of what you expect.

Hope this helps.