Re: Iceland phototrip august/september - anyone?

Pini when were you there?  What time of year?  It's pretty sunny all summer usually.  Sept might start to push into autumn rain.

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Pini Vollach <pinimage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I visited Iceland, the better weather (sunny !)  was in the North while the South was always rainy without a stop.

From: PhotoForum [mailto:photoforum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peeter Vissak
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 5:53 PM
To: PhotoForum educational network

Subject: Re: Iceland phototrip august/september - anyone?

Pini,

Thanks for good advice!

I think it should be possible to overlook the tourist offices, e.g. using booking.com environment and a couple of "exile" Estonians here and there in Iceland.

What concerning the gas stove - I've thought about it seriously, but it's said to be constantly so windy, that it takes forever to cook your meal :(

I've made already some reservations in guesthouses for pretty nice price. Afterall I need to charge my batteries regularly, although my Nikon's ones can go, depending on the version, either about 1000 or 3000 shots per charge.

I know, I know that it's peanuts in Iceland, as I use such amount up pretty quickly even in Estonia :)

About cold - I've considered cold. Unless it's constantly less than 3-4 degrees. And I won't say North for long. Some days in Westfjords and then South again. I'll skip Akureyri and the rest of the Northen part of the circle. I'll stay in South instead. Coming and going along the same route in different conditions may give unexpected results.

Kindest regards,

Peeter

Hi Peter,

Some years ago (maybe ten…?) I did Iceland trip the same dates.

1.       4WD is recommended.

2.       Eat – I brought a gas stove (bought a balloon in a gas station) and all the other ingredients from Supermarkets or bakeries.
I was cooking my meals outside in nature.
(I ate only once or twice in restaurants.)

3.       Sleeping – It is cold out there! Even in August.  Mountain huts can give you cheap solution but 4WD is needed.  Otherwise tourist information offices will make you reservations to private homes.

Roy – meeting point should be in Reykjavík Airport.

Pini