Re: PhotoForum Digest, Vol 252, Issue 1

No they have enhanced h-alpha because they only allow a part of the ir spectrum.   The nikon also include the addition of extra cooling.  The 810a can be used by the simple addition of a hot mirror as a regular camera.  Yeah if you just want to do planetary stuff you can just remove the stand ir cut.  Spencers will make the Camera however you like it.  H-alpha or full spectrum or black and white at 830NM.

Greg you really should go talk to my father since you probably are already neighbors.  The man worked on some of the most advanced imaging technology ever.  Things that worked at 10^-7 lux (in 1990) optically and then all the AWACS crazy world stuff and all the other stuff that happened in the hanger with no windows and 1 door.      I'm not kidding or being snide.  You guys would probably have a blast.  He loves that little English Tea house place.

Most cameras' Infrared filters are rather broad-ranging and filter out some visible red light, as well as IR. The filter on the D810a is much more precise, meaning the camera is around four times more sensitive to long-wavelength red light than an ordinary DSLR. This makes it much more able to capture the Hydrogen Alpha spectral line (656nm): the precise color emitted by the hot clouds of Hydrogen gas that occur in emission nebulae. The modification won't make much of a difference when shooting sunlight reflected off the moon or planets and is likely to give a reddish tinge to ordinary photography.