Re: replace photoshop maybe

Randy writes,
" . . .  it just doesn't seem very archival to have images in a software you don't have permanent access to.  "

He may be referring to Capture One software, but it certainly applies to all of our digital images.  Without the software appropriate to individual cameras, our images are merely tissue paper lying on a piece of plastic.  The only longevity available is the hard copy print -- and even that's not a guarantee against physical damage.

It's a bit off topic, but my own story is a case in point.  My dissertation was self published using a professional typesetting program, LaTeX, used primarily by writers who need scientific notation .  The source code was Ascii, just plain-text using embedded ascii symbols.  But at the time there was no nifty program to produce the ugly not-very-readable text.  I, oh-so-clever, invented a work-around that produced the plain-text, namely a little used word processing program in which I programmed keyboard shortcuts -- so that the screen version was easily read and which I could command to produce the ugly input text to the LaTeX program.  Trouble was that the word processing program I used was not supported and could not run with newer versions of the operating systems.  Result is that the only way to read my dissertation now is via hard copy, and if I need another I must order it from somewhere in Michigan.

Long story; short advice is to print your photos that you want to keep.

  -yoram