Re: Comments re: PF members' photographs

Andy, It's funny that I forced myself to keep to the formal reason for submission -- i.e. the great ironwork frontage and the guy at the edge of the bright shaft of light .  And all the while I also kept looking at those three figures -- thereby admitting that they are the story as well as the frontage and the light.  I can't make a case for two stories, but . . . who knows?

My take on the others in this week's gallery:

Klaus Knuth - Missing Man Formation - I never came across "missing man formation" before, and Wikipedia came to my rescue.   Now I understand the smoke trail, and have to say the whole idea is an impressive offering -- and sometimes hard to photograph if the planes go through aerial figures.  My problem with the  photograph, however, is that it reminds me that there is too much reliance on military solutions to deal with world problems.  But let's not go there.

Art Faul - B-17 above Omaha Beach and English Channel - I know that documentation has its place, and this photograph certainly conveys a connection to particular past events.  Generally I like photographs to stand alone, however.

Yoram Gelman

Emily Ferguson - Snowy Egress - I have to admit that I looked for, and could not find, the bird.  And not until Andy's comment about lots of snow did I realize what my problem was!  Doh.  Again, effective documentation here.  It's certainly a different take on a river's entry into a bay.

John Palcewski - Distance - Very effective use of curves and depth.  (Andy, is the only story the runner here??  Just asking. :)  )

Randy Little - Valley Forge, PA. - For me, this photograph does not evoke any feeling for the past event, so it remains just a landscape.

Chris Strevens - the motor -  The title and commentary raises questions.  But the photograph itself is only an incidental accompaniment.

  -yoram