Re: best focal length for portraits?

I remember doing a car shoot with a 980 on an 10x8 (if memory serves me).. The camera was on 3 tripods.

On 5:46AM, Wed, Apr 8, 2015 Randy Little <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah thats was the point of using then 480mm apo s rodenstock.  To avoid a long draw.  The 360 looks better and more full. Longer = flater.  Not a look I like.

On Apr 8, 2015 1:45 AM, "karl shah-jenner" <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Little" <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "PhotoForum educational network" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: best focal length for portraits?

Therr where lots of lenses in his safe other then a 150. And I think the
world knows 43 is the correct standard 35 lens.  But he could have used
210, 300, whatever.  When I worked for him he was old and we shot 8x10 with
a 360 for people because we where in studio.  I shoot people on 8x10 with a
480mm about 85mm.  Only because I have to deal with the size of the camera
and crazy long bellows.

you can actually get telephotos for large format to avoid having to use stupid long / double bellows .  I've a Bauch&Lomb 20":5.6 that gets infinity focus at around 30cm that works nicely for portraits

I'm sure there are others around