Re: best focal length for portraits?

Between working for arnold newman and joyce tenneson I learned the right lens is which ever lens produces the desired look.   There are plenty of examples.  Kennedy by Newman is a normal to slightly wide lens.  Probably a 150mm on 4x5 which is like a 43mm on 35.

I like to be close.  Get the subject to play directly to the lens. If its a medium lens say a 35mm on a 44x33 sensor then the lens goes a little higher to the face to avoid big nose if its an issue.   I could give 2 cents what the brain sees as normal. What the brain sees as normal, the brain sees as boring.   You can see this if you look at peoples work who are strict in technical application.