Re: best focal length for portraits?

Stepping in 'where angels fear to tread' can I ask a naive question. In the context of digital photography and post processing does it make any difference. When I used film I found that I got good results with a 135 lens but for me the biggest advantage was the fact that I could keep my subject at a distance so I was not, figuratively, Breathing down their neck.   My viewpoint and experience is amateur rather than professional. I only ever got to 'shoot' professional models at auto show Press Days.

Michael in Norwich

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Davidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>
To: PhotoForum educational network <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 20:24
Subject: best focal length for portraits?

I’ve pondered about this for a while … which is the most appropriate focal
length lens to use for portraiture (head/shoulders) and which is the most
“flattering”? I realize that it would vary for different sensor formats. So pick
a format. Or is distance between subject and camera the major deciding factor?

Andy