Re: One, two or more highlights in the eyes of portraits

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 02:59:30 +0000
From: andpph@xxxxxxx
Subject:  One, two or more highlights in the eyes of portraits
To: photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was pondering if there is a general consensus at to the number of highlights in the eyes of a person that make for an effective or ineffective portrait. Or does it matter? How about the shape of the highlight? Its location in the eyes? Opinions??

Andy

There are a few images I've seen, extreely memorable ones, rare too, where the eye is lit from the side - the front of the eye visibly floats above the startling glow of the iris - these are for me the most beautiful highlights in the eye.. Admittedly they're more often seen in backlit images when the models eyes are at about the 1/4 mark. I imagine the light is bouncing off the inside of the eye back onto the iris - simply stunning.

back to the question, I prefer one in each eye, so that's 8 for most spiders unless they're spitting spiders in which case it's 6.