Re: PhotoForum Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

Could you name some high end type 1 printers?

On Mar 17, 2015 2:06 PM, "Dan Mitchell" <danmdan3842@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The printer you buy, and the ink you use depends on how often you need to use the printer.

There are 2 distinct types of printer - one (1) has the heads/jets integral with the ink tanks, while the other (2) has non-removable heads/jets as a fixed part of the printer plus use simple ink-tank(s).

With a type 1 printer you can use after-market ink, since the heads/jets are changed with the cartridge, so if an ink jet gets unclearably blocked all you need to do is replace the ink cartridge.  However with a type 2 printer an unclearable printing jet (nozzle or whatever it is called) means an expensive service charge to dissemble the printer and clean the captive heads; sometimes it spells death to that printer.

I left a type 2 Epson unused for a few months and it never was able to work again, no amount of head cleaning freed the gummed-up jets, and the service cost was higher than the cost of a new one.  So now I always buy a  type 1 printer as I seldom do much color printing these days, partly due to the excessive ink costs.  And thus one answer to the O.P. is if you have a type 2 printer it is perhaps best to use only the maker’s inks as hopefully they are less likely to clog the printing heads.