Re: Some observations about photographs in PF gallery

About my image in the Gallery. . . Yes, it was on purpose.  I submitted in response to the panic call stating that only two images were in the forthcoming February 28 Gallery.  So I loyally found a recent image, could not think of a title, and remembered a newspaper anecdote about a column that was printed with the same headline: "Don't worry,  We'll thing of a title before we run it."  There. . . now you know.  But the Gallery was already full by the time I submitted.

But on the subject of viewing any art, I don't feel that a title has to describe the piece under view.  And if it actually needs a title to understand the piece, then it's not artistically a good piece; it's journalism.  (Hold the flames; some journalistic photographs are very good.  But then they don't need titles either.)

Emily L. Ferguson - Evidence - Andy wrote "The title makes me want to figure out what it refers to. Stuff under the snow? . . . All very mysterious!" but my reaction to that is stated above.  As a photograph I don't get it -- except maybe to make a very subtle comment on all the snow!

Art Faul - Tries and more tries - This falls into the same "title" problem.  In addition I don't think Art Faul's response to Andy's comment is appropriate -- even as a joke.

John Retallack - See?  Even without a title a knowledgable viewer could guess the situation if necessary.  As an image, it has a very high impact.

Klaus Knuth - Shenandoah Valley -  I like the composition very much.  But it's too saturated (especially the water) for a photograph, and not worked up enough for an artistic piece.  (Maybe that's why I usually work in black and white???  Don't know.)

As it's often said, Only in my opinion.

Hoping we've had all the snow for the season,
  -yoram