Re: Teaching photography...in a room

I think Randy and Jan have given good information. Drilling a hole is probably going to result in too big of a hole. Using a sharp needle should work OK. Poking it through something like the metal of a pie tin sounds good to me. Usually you don’t want to push the needle no matter how fine it is right through the metal. Just “poke” it through. If possible get rid of “bent back” edges as you’d like the hole to be as round and as free of burrs as possible. HOWEVER … I would not take this all too seriously as that may hamper your initiative to try the process! As Randy suggested.

I suppose you could drill a larger hole in a body cap and then cut a piece of the pie tin where your pinhole is and attach it to the cover so the hole is roughly centered over that larger hole and tape the tin down to prevent light leaks.

I think you don’t need to know what the actual “aperture” is since you’ll probably be using you camera on autoexposure and if not then just use an exposure time that yields useable digital images.

Don’t let technicalities interfere with exploration and play!

Andy