Re: Documentary photography - T Manley

re exploitation

Myself, I'd be hesitant to rush in screaming 'victim' at someone regarding something I saw, lest I misread the situation.

after all, what gives me the right to label someone a victim. They may well be more than happy doing what they are doing.

I used to work in a plant nursery.. I guess someone could easily have snapped me as a sweat streaked, manure covered labourer shoveling a vast pile of dung from one spot to another in 43 degree heat (110F) under a searing sun and screamed victm, or they could have asked and found I was at my happiest doing what I was doing right then,. then they'd have had a photograph of a happy, proud individual enjoying the rewarding toil of days work .. Actually I'd be a bit bloody insulted being called 'exploited' .. as though I was dim of wit . One reason I despised the unions, they wanted us all to feel 'under the thumb' of someone. Pure victim mentality.

I have photographed Laotians 'poorer' in a monetary sense than myself. Lovely, proud, dignified people. I have photographed wealthy western sloths staggering drunk around Luangphrabang too .. There was different intent behind those photos, I can tell you !

No, If I had any possibility of misreading Tina's (or anyone elses) photograph I'd have the decency to keep my own ignorant opinions to myself.

Anyhoo - I'm listening to side one of Yes's Relayer Album, the track Gates of Delerium .. so I'm in a special place.