Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6654

or from his bio

As he experimented with different ways to convey a sense of power (or powerlessness) in his subjects, Avedon explored different ways to capture them on film. Early on, he airbrushed and retooled and cropped his photos to idealize his subjects and introduce an atmosphere of glamour and prestige. In the late 1960s, he shifted to photographing anti-war figures in a stark, minimalist style.