Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6633/obscenities.

On reviewing the “mission statement” of the PhotoForum list in the third paragraph it states:

"The objective is be an open forum for the free exchange and sharing of information for the benefit of its members. The list is not moderated and it depends on the good will and civility of its members to maintain a friendly and constructive atmosphere."

In this instance I’d like to emphasize “ … good will and civility of its members to maintain a friendly and constructive atmosphere.” Particularly the mention of _civility_.

Stating that “if you don’t like it don’t read it” reminded me of a song - the streak - where the protagonist warns his wife Ethel not to look somewhere - but too late, she’s already seen whatever it was. One can not decide a priori whether one wants to see/read something.

Best thing is to try to be considerate and civil. Just because in a specific setting or environment some personal behavior is acceptable it does not mean that it can be directly translated everywhere. Eg: would one include coarse language when applying for employment or soliciting donations for a worthy cause? I doubt it.

And while comedians or other public figures use such language from time to time I noticed that Johnny Carson, David Letterman or Jay Leno did not or do not pepper their monologues with such. An occasional slip happens … and it is bleeped out.

This is hopefully just something to think about as this list is not censored or moderated. It is a suggestion that speaking or texting on this list might better be done in a respectful and considerate manner.

just my thoughts on this matter and now maybe we can return to photography as the main topic of our conversations.

Andrew Davidhazy
PF coordinator