Jane Dorn's Haunting Photographs

A poignant reminder of our impermanence and the beauty of accepting life’s cycles of growth and decay.

“While a painting or a prose description can never be other than a narrowly selective interpretation,” Susan Sontag wrote in her timeless meditation on photography, “a photograph can be treated as a narrowly selective transparency.”

Early photography advocate Frederick Douglas spoke of photography’s singular power to reveal the unseen as “aesthetic force,” and yet in today’s image-overloaded culture, how easily that aesthetic force can slip into what Sontag called “aesthetic consumerism” as we devour timeline visuals and telepresence stand-ins for our friends, our communities, and our own experiences of reality.

The need for an antidote is precisely what makes the work of Greenville-based photographer Jane Dorn so compelling. Like a Eudora Welty of the camera, Dorn captures the mesmerizing intersection of place, presence, and absence in her project Empirical Evidence — a series of haunting photographs of abandoned houses, churches, schools, and other once-inhabited buildings across the American South.

See the images on Brain Pickings, here:

http://bit.ly/1lDLZ7T