Re: exposure issues

.   I have ALL the testing I need.     If you want to argue with the test results of the copal test I posted you are welcome to email him.

Second over exposing doesn't make grain less it makes it more and tighter which LOOK like less grain when its MORE.  I think they call this physics.    I would put money on Jack Karpens tri-x 400 shot at 400 being better then anything shot at 200.   I mean this is meticulous care.   I know lots of people that shoot tmax 400 at 200 but then it also comes down to how its being process and what juice and water minerals and on and on and on.

Jack Karpen - School of Photographic Arts and Sciences at RIT
Reference: U.S. Navy manual of photography, vol. 1 & 2, 1947 edition.

  It should be noted that photographic emulsion consists of silver suspended in gelatin.

This is very similar to those holiday jello molds (so popular this time of year) where odd bits of various fruits are suspended in colored (usually  green) and flavored gelatin.

The similarity continues in that we know what occurs when the jello mold is dropped or treated in a rough manner. The bits of fruit are displaced to a greater or lesser degree. This same phenomena can be witnessed when viewing student work. When viewing fuzzy pictures be sure to question students on how the film was handled before processing (when film is most susceptible to jarring). Film that has been dropped is seldom worth processing due to the severe migration of silver. Film that has been jarred (this usually occurs from the camera jostling on a neckstrap) will always show a loss of edge sharpness.

If he caught us hold our stainless or aluminum film processing tanks in our hands it was not good for you grade.   I would say I learned much from jack on the nature of what is the right way to process film to then apply that towards the rest of my education.

 This still has ZERO to do with the ISO not being listed as correct.   Because they thought the resulting dies in the film where crap but looked nice at different settings is a non point.  Its an aesthetic choice not a as designed to operate based on whatever it was they where shooting for.  They're German's the looked up some math and then did that exactly based on what works in a LAB and over exposing it doesn't make the ISO WRONG its makes it an aesthetic choice in how to use that film.   It also doesn't mean when they designed the film they did screw it up like the original Kodak Portra's that where just HORRID and then salvage it with marketing on a box.  Still doesn't make that right.  It makes it aesthetic choice.

ISO is determined at a given amount of exposure such that its above base+fog.  In color neg is the same but RGB are measured.   Then its just up to the chemist to make sure that the 14 layers of emulsion produce something people want to look at.   So if the Agfa was list at the wrong iso based on the ISO criteria then Agfa was out of spec. PERIOD and in theory could have had their ISO mark taken away (unlikely to ever happen)   Again what poeple  like to look at has zero to do with what the films proper iso is to meet the ISO STANDARD.   Now we all know that chemistry and light meters aren't perfect but that is something people should have worked out for their working process.  If you want your dmin to be scene referenced black at just above b+f then the ISO IS THE ISO.  If you would like a different look then thats on your and your equipment.

I will take my experience and work with people like the multi oscar winning Mr. Miranda over you. Heres why.  If you are shooting in light sources that are not what the meter does best then its you issues to know what the spectral response of the film and meter are in relation what they where created and tested for in ISO.   So its not really over exposing then is it?  Its properly exposing for the spectral sensitivity of the film to that light source.   If your meter is NOT designed to meter that light then it would be pretty dumb to count on that being accurate for that light.   So You probably have to test to determine what those sensitivities are and the EXPOSE CORRECTLY.    You know you can in many cases just use the right type of Grey card.    I only have 3 types.  Generic grey,  Strobe card and a 3200 kelvin card.  Then I have a chart of what strobe produce what value on each card that I use regularly as well as the same notes for hot lights, Keno's of most temp, Quartz, tungsten, Plasma (latest coolest thing developed by a friend of mines brother growing in popularity in the film world.)

     Selenium and what medium?  Microfilm no its not good for microfilm.   For paper prints yes its still recommended by the IPI.   (image permanence institute (at RIT)  https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org

The insignificant amount of time its take the leaf shutter to open and close are pretty irrelevant and the way a copal operated negates it.   My Schneider leaf shutter mamiya lenses with seiko shutters at fstop of 2.8  are dead nuts accurate with so little fall of its barely measurable and not visible from 1/30th to 1/500th.  Slower well I use the camera's focal plan shutter which is also dead nuts on.  I think you are totally neglecting speed vs distance in the design of the leaf shutter.    My lenses are test 1-2 times a year when they are in for maintenance or before I go on a remote location if I have having the oils change for cold weather. No as possible with most 35mm digitals but my medium format cameras with Leaf backs need to be properly conditioned for extreme cold.    Non the less I have yet to experience in my quant only 23 years (yes Jan just a kid)  In either stills work or feature film work the amount of failure you describe.  I would test my Step mothers f2 which was used for every day for about 20 years before I took it over for another 10 when the shutter finally snapped.  Its the camera I had when I was working at Creve Couer Camera and even after all those years its shutter was off at the low end only and pretty much dead on at 1/2000th is max shutter speed.

Next I get my meters check and calibrated 1 a year and have yet to have to replace my Minolta Flash Meter iv or my Gossen Ultra spot 2.   My norwoods are bit off but.. Well they are 60+ years old.   I just can't fathom the type of error rates you are claiming and can only imagine an experiment error or equipment that spend to much time near salt water or the Mines and dust of West OZ.

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/