Re: PF members new photographs on March 29, 2014

That’s a common concern: What to do with finished work? A neighbor of mine has painted his entire life and currently has a basement full of paintings. Not because he is not selling, but more because the speed with which he creates far and away exceeds the sales of his work. He just turned 81

I pretty much stopped printing a couple of years ago for various reasons, one of which was I was recovering from 19  surgeries with full anesthesia and was so close to comatose that I couldn’t make a print. I had bought an Epson 4900 for making prints myself rather than sending them out, and even its properties for guessing what to do with color balance etc. could not assist the 4900 in making a color-correct ‘out of the box' print.

I suppose you could try selling them at the mall, but I’m sure you would find that demeaning and insulting. During my time of moderate amnesia, I got a gallery in Gettysburg to let me hang 12 20x48” mounted prints for a weekend and on Sunday, I crossed out the prices and wrote in “MAKE OFFER”. I got 35 offers and sold 8 prints. Ten offers were below $10 and ten more were below $25. It was obvious that fairly well-oiled folks at a winery wanted to save their dough for alcohol and the thought of buying something they can take home and hang on their walls intruded on the idea of getting drunk.

The highest offer was $800 and a woman in Philly took that print home. A few others went for around $550 each, one was $350, two went for $250 and one slightly damaged went for $100. They had all been priced at $950 to start.

About 50 folks went around the room shooting the pictures with their iPhones, either believing their jpgs could compete with 140MB TIFFs, or perhaps being somewhat inebriated they did not see the huuuuuuuuuuge sign asking them not to do what they were doing.

According to a Gallup poll 20 years ago, if money were no object 85% of us want to be artists. But since most of us can’t have the job of ‘artist’ we treat artists like crap and do not value art.