Re: What Is a Photograph?

Several years ago I wanted to put photos on furniture, and so explore the various way to transfer images to wood. It turned out that there are ways to do so, but all involve a bit of exploration and latitude for getting an artistic effect. My process involved printing on mylar or the material normally used for printing contact negs for platinum printing negs. We found printing on a non-RC glossy inkjet paper to work the best as the one can let the ink dry. I made prints in reverse, let them dry and then rewet them prior to applying them to wet water-based varnish under a bit of pressure.

The shots were to line the front of shelf edges in a bookcase so they could be used ass a small gallery  for a collection of say panoramas. After they dried we very carefully sanded off the substrate until we were left with the images all lined along the edges. I’ll go down and make a few shots of the bookcase and enter teh best in next week’s PF gallery.

There was nothing even vaguely ‘instant’ about the process, as it took 10 months of experimentation to get near the desired effect.