Re: Saving stock photography?

Maybe there's a lot to say about stock and microstock, but this quote calls to my attention:

> “The inherent problem with the stock photography industry is that companies care about companies …
> and they care about keeping their margins high — 70 percent plus,” ...

Just recently I came across this infographic, "So, you wanna be a photographer?" and it mentions (among other things, of course) that, as a statistic, if your expenses (cots of sale) are more than 35% of your product price, you will go out of business". Its here: http://designtaxi.com/news/357001/Infographic-So-You-Wanna-Be-A-Photographer/

I seem to recall this same figure across different businesses, my point being there's nothing wong with companies having a 70% margin. Its the same as "ireporter" or somesuch, in which people send breaking-news pictures to CNN or Time for free: to my dismay, it somehow goes on.

Stocksy is a great model and it looks like growing pretty well. I hope it keeps going and I hope someday I can make it into it. But I was also thrilled by Photoshelter, "for photographers, by photographers", and then it bombed (still running, but not as stock agent, but mainly selling storage/front end. On ocassion it also releases interesting and valuable market research).

I don't want my 70% taken? Well, I am free to start my own stock company. If I only had a 50-million cushion!

Cheers.

Alberto Tirado