Re: 10 new photographs in PF members' exhibit space on 11 JAN 2014

It's just my opinion;

Hilary:

Comp is strong, but the left side weakens the image. Also, just because she's moving doesn't allow justification for a soft image. I like the image, but would have chosen a simple technique of using flash to freeze the moving subject and a slow shutter, say 1/4 of a second to allow blur. To me, that more depicts motion than simple blurring.

Landesteg:

Great comp. It's obvious that a long exposure was used, so why is the foreground and the public dome on the right, soft? I have no idea, but an image of this quality deserves more sharpness. Crystal clear subject matter. The image otherwise succeeds. Colors are phenomenal, comp is working and subject matter is classic.

The Haves At Rush Hour:

Great image. Comp works, color vs. b/w works. Motion vs. still action works. Subject matter works. Very successful shot. I do see a softness in the buildings and the bordering technique is obtrusive. It simply doesn't work.

Ruby 2000

This images is intense. A human being that is lost in her world and disregards how any one may interpret that world.

The image is of course soft. Why? It doesn't add to the ambience of the individuals life, it doesn’t add to her plight. There isn't a profoundness in that interpretation of the subject matter. It's just soft. To see the real subject, one has to ignore the failing of rendering the subject, sharp. The softness can not be blamed on grain.

Yes, I have beat a dead horse. In my time, I have studied 10s of thousands of images. This image offers no real comp. in that the shooter has placed her subject right in the middle of the frame, and it's out of focus! This image would have been even stronger, had the shooter squatted to the floor and shot up into the women's face.

Hylocereus Study:

Fascinating subject composition. But again, and I am tired of this, the subject is not in focus!!!! This subject suggests that many topics were used to create the final addition. Multiple frames layered one onto the other which can create some amazing images, but especially in sharpening. In Astronomy, it is the technique commonly used to gain more sharpness of a planet or moon. Thousands of images are stacked to create one very sharp image.

I do like the image.

To qualify, I am using a 45in HD monitor. If all of these subjects are indeed sharp to everyone else, then I apologize. But my monitor does render a lot of these images as too soft for qualification.

But not all of them.

Portrait:

It's a little wooden, good call._grin I see this image as a play on the ancient wooden Indian. The wax rendering. Someone's idea of respect or flattery. Cute. Having no idea who this bust represents, the comp. is boring. But maybe that's okay if the topic of this image was to simply render a copy of someone's sculpture. As a rendering of someone's art. But basically it appears as a "file" image.

Foggy Morn:

Classic. Nice image. Good soft detail of a foggy atmosphere with classic ships. The image works in every way. I would have cropped more of the left side, say, just after the first float just after the third ship on the left?? Great image.

Searchlight Mining Shack:

What the hell? Focus is horrible. Composition and exposure are dead on, but why is the focus and therefore the depth of field so problematic??

The Exit:

Again, why is the focus misplaced? The subject is confusing as is the caption. There is no focus of the subject or the camera. Determining what we are looking at, fails.

Decaying Grand Old House:

Nice, if not even great black and white. The comp. is out in that the tree on the left should have been included, as trying to lose all of the limbs at this angle would have been impossible. It would have also included some deep blacks. The other problem is that the house is leaning out of the center of the comp. A wide angle effect that can through an image out of it's text. The perspective isn't working.

I love the atmosphere and the black and white rendering of the subject.

But, as I mentioned earlier, it's all just my opinion. I would though, question why so many of the images were out of focus. Can anyone clarify????

Gregory
Gig Harbor, WA.

-----Original Message----- From: Andrew Davidhazy