Photography and Ansel Adams

I had always taken the conservative line and echoed all the "best" critics, that in his line Ansel Adams was an amazing photographer. But some years ago, having seen an exhibition of his work and a parallel one of Lartigue, I fell in love with Lartigue's work and out of love with Adams. I recognise Adams' technical mastery. But it was also interesting to note that Adams also reprinted his better known images several times - and each was quite different from the one before: contrast, lightness etc. Only the content seemed not to change as he never apparently cropped his prints or so I believe.

Howard