Re: PF members exhibit on Oct 19, 2013

My take on things so far....

In The Fog, A Figure:

I love this image. Timing, contrast and comp all work. What doesn't work are the limbs or weeds on the left. Crop them out. Something I would bet, you have already thought about. Crop it out.

Uomo E Donna

The lighting on this man's face is excellent. It appears to be a simple capture of an existing condition which I find to be the best images. It's also assumed he is the focus of this comp.

Therefore what is the background doing intruding on our enjoyment of this man's character?

Why is it included? A simple defocus that loses the background to the point that it becomes un-obtrusive is mandatory for this comp.

The beauty of PS is that, not only can a user select the background, but you can change it as needed. I do not advocate we change the truth, but dissolving the background so that is does not intrude on the foreground is not dishonest and in conditions such as this image, would be required.

Muscle Beach

Humorous. These three men of course have nothing to do with a muscle beach, which results in the images' comedy. The beach seems empty, and therefore a place to have a good time with the ability to disregard those who may criticize their behavior or attributes. I would have cropped out the upper left portion and some of the right hand side of the image to tighten our focus on the subjects.

Randy Little

Although this image is very indicative of an Ansel Adams, it fails on the left side. This image works as an excellent example of the Zone System, but the entire left side needs to be cropped off. I would have drawn the line somewhere to the left of the middle of the darker area in the clouds and to the left of the waterfall.

Sunset Paparazzi

An image with very little focus. A bunch of amateurs all trying to achieve some great shot. It appears to be an uninteresting sunset. Uninteresting in the surrounding lighting has very little impact and not much color or dramatics. So we have to assume the sunset is not that spectacular. And if it was, then why not include it in the composition? The crowd of imagers is dark and could have used fill light, but something stronger than a simple on camera flash, assuming the photographer isn't getting any closer.

I would have walked far closer to the crowd, using a wide angle lens and fill flash, covered the amateurs, and also the sunset.

Bridges

Good image but typical of a bridge shot. It works in comp in that the left is off center and strong, but needs to tighten up in regards to the right side and in this case, the foreground. There is too much negative space on the right and the foreground has shadows worthy of being eliminated. Exposure is right on and with the crop on the right, this image would be an excellent shot of a bridge. In honesty, it's difficult to produce an image of any bridge outside this type of comp.

Red Sky At Night....

The lines of this car are dynamic and very pleasing. I was unable to see the entire comp of this image on my wide screen and therefore would suggest that future submissions are presented in terms of what our screens can project. The car's body seems unrealistic and therefore a curious rendering of the photographer's imagination. Not a rendering of the car itself but an imagination of someone's idea of of the spirit of this car. I would have loved to see this car in it's illustrious reality using the very long lighting reflector typical of studio shooters and their Car subjects. Bringing out the specular highlights known for these types of cars seems mandatory and therefore those images are, for me, the best.

This car is in respect, rendered not only in a clever computerization, but drawn out for one's imagination of a spirited drive. The interior is given to us as a ghostly aspect of this dynamic machine.

Fall Scene

For Fall, this image fails in that most of us assume there are more colors than this simple orange. Browns, reds and oranges are the typical rendering of fall. This image not only lacks that, but it also lacks focus. It has next to no composition, and demands no concentration. We can look at a frame of one color and assume that image is based solely on the photographer's idea. If it doesn't provide some similarity to the audience's idea of for example, fall, then it fails.

Gregory