Re: Question re: shutter activations

These days there is more of a chance for shutter breakage as folks get too involved with their shots and forget that shooting 800 pictures of a praying mantis is overkill. As there is no 36-frame reminder any more, I know dozens of folks who have worn out their camera in record time. 150k cycles divided by 800 is only 187 days and that’s just one instance.
A PJ who shall go nameless was sent to Iraq to shoot for one of the weekly fiction magazines. While in-country he decided that to get the most out of his assignment, he would try to fill the three 16GB cards he had with him daily, and upload all the images nightly via Sat phone. He began shooting JPG+RAW on every shot, storing the RAW files on his 4TB external drive, only to ship off the JPG’s nightly with no editing. Needless to say, the photo editor got pretty tired of seeing thousands of JPG’s nightly, and demanded an explanation.
While the explanation was being worked on, his favorite 5D crashed, refused to make an exposure and got rushed back to his repair service near Chicago. They recommended shutter replacement, as holding the shutter button down for long bursts with a lens pressed against a HumVee window, isn’t good for the machine. The result: the magazine replaced the camera, but when he returned for ‘R&R’ they replaced him too.

Jan