Re: PF members exhibit on 08/10/13

At 7:52 AM -0400 8/10/13, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated August 10, 2013. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

		Jim Snarski - Liftoff

The problem with this shot is that the bee arrives and departs the same way, so nothing in the image actually speaks to the bee departing except the title. I'm pondered this problem a good deal when in this situation, both while admiring the amazing way bees move, and when trying to figure out how to express whether they're coming or going with a still photograph.

The nice thing about the image is how crisp so many necessary parts of it are.

		Christopher Strevens - Garden

Somebody needs to weed. And somebody needs to figure out how to deal with blown-out skies.

		Marilyn Dalrymple - Joan

There's something so conventional about the bg canvas and pose that the image just went right by me. It seems like a person like this with her reported accomplishments should be shot in some way which reveals more.

		Yoram Gelman - VIP Gallery

Those potato chips are just my type! Those chairs are the most uncomfortable mass produced chairs in the trade currently. Such a sterile VIP gallery. The presentation in b&w sort of reinforces that.

		Emily L. Ferguson - meticulous

It's a lobster trap.  I loved the knots, so carefully and meticulously tied.

		Bob Sull - It's OK, I'm ONE today!

Babies are wierd, and feeding them all that Crisco and artificial color should be against the law. The photo might have a less problematic arm in it if it were vertical.

		Randy Little - Farmers Market Haidian district, Beijing

People at Farmers' Market - colorful cliche image but just a grab shot. I don't see that you put much effort into this at all.

		Art Faul - Obverse view of a print by Dürer

Paper was expensive then. Crop off the black and put a small amount of light behind the print to make it clearer that he used both sides. Nothing in particular about the image reveals that to me.

Hmm. I sound grumpy today. Sorry if people feel I've been a little hard on them, but there were a lot of lost opportunities in this week's gallery to me.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx