Re: Just in from the Front - the other side of the coin

In 1963 my cousin was studying at the Slade Academy in London. To help to support himself he obtained a pert time job in a well known London grocery emporium (Fortnum and Mason's) One afternoon he received a telephoned order from a customer with a foreign accent. Wanting to make sure about the customer's surname he asked her to spell it out - which she did - D  I  E  T  R  i  C  H  T and concluded with the comment 'and I have not had to spell it out to anyone for years - Sonny' She was then in her sixties.