Re: digital art issues.

that sounds like the bug I read about.     Well smart layers actually link
to external files not sure if smart filters are doing external or internal
file linking.   I don't use Photoshop much any more.

sounds like Randy is on track - if elements within a file are known by the OS to link to another location then windows will protect the file by not letting you move any component.

I tried thinking of a real world analogy, even a bad one, but failed.