Re: digital art issues.

I do my back ups by copying a large folder of photo files. When I tried this after starting to use CS3 windows XP couldn't read the files with the smart layer in them. I had to reopen them in Photshop CS3 and flatten out the smart layer or take them out completely and then resave in Photoshop. Then Windows XP could copy them. Also in Windows 7 when using Window Explorer the psd files show up just as an icon while jpg and tiff files show up as the image. I assume all this was just incompatiblity in code. Since hard drives had gotten so much bigger and cheaper I didn't really need to use smart layers. CS3 is edition 10.0 so if there was an update a never got it. Don't know what file linking is.
Roy