Re: IR camera ANDY

Randy, I don't think I ever ripped a sensor out of a camera - I usually did not break things but rather tried to find out if things could be used beyond their technical specs. At least I think so. That is not to say I did not modify, kludge or improvise often!!

In the case of the IR subject I tired making IR and UV photos using an Agfa 1280 and Nikon 950 ... and at first decided it was not possible but then a student at Stanford proved  me wrong - I had made a "tactical" error in how I came to my decision. ;)

But having a "raw" CCD sensor is a way to go for IR (mostly although UV is also sometimes possible) and is the way some early cameras were available ... you had to use an IR cutoff filter on the lens to achieve good color rendition in situations where there was IR present ... like under tungsten or daylight ... guess most anywhere!!

Later on I simply assumed that IR cutoff filters in cameras were not totally efficient and that one could make IR photographs through an IR filter by simply using large apertures, high speeds and long exposure times to take advantage of the "residual" IR transmittance of the IR cutoff filters and sensitivity to IR (and near UV) of the camera sensors.

etc.

Andy